The Centre for Sustainable Communities (CSC) is part of the Office of the Vice-Chancellor. Bringing together key elements needed to form and support sustainable communities into the future; Planning & Urbanism, Sustainable Transport and the Environment - the CSC works in collaboration with both internal and external partners to deliver funded projects, academic and professional development programmes, as well as undertake research.
The CSC hosts Seminars and Conferences, engaging leading thinkers to stimulate debate and promote ideas.
The Centre for Sustainable Communities has undertaken a wide range of research, applied projects and consultancy over 2014 across our various thematic areas.
- Reached the reporting phase of a major research project within our research partnership with Lafarge Tarmac exploring aspects of ‘sustainable living’
- Launched the Herts Guide to Growth – Five Years On research report
- Received a special mention for our Wolfson Economics Prize entry on making a new Garden City
- Spoken at a number of conferences and symposia on aspects of urbanism and transport
- Worked on monitoring and benchmarking projects related to the Local Sustainable Transport Fund work for which we previously achieved significant funding with our partners Hertfordshire County Council
- Improved local transport provision through partnership working with the ‘Quality Network Partnership which we helped establish with local authorities and public transport providers
- Developed a Smart Ticketing downloadable bus ticket that can be purchased on mobile phones via an app
- Secured ECO-Campus ‘Platinum’ status and ISO 14001
- Relaunched the UH wide Green Impact process for the 4th year in succession
- Led the Power Down campaign to help minimise unnecessary energy use
- Facilitated UH to become a student-led ‘Slow Food’ university
- Undertaken another full programme of seminars, short courses and masters' programme module teaching in Sustainable Planning, Transport and Environmental Management